In the last article we talked about website marketing and the benefits of onsite search engine optimization. Today we are going to explore some offsite SEO practices for increasing visibility on search engine result pages. An emerging theme I’ve been encountering online is the push for diversification. That includes diversifying your anchor text, link profiles, traffic sources and your overall strategy. This will help in broadening the realm of interest and increase the chances of connecting with prospects. Keep this suggestion in the back of your mind while going over the recommended SEO tasks.
When comparing onsite and offsite SEO you have to keep in mind that they both play vital roles in your website’s visibility. If you recall the image from the prior post if was of an iceberg with the exposed part of the ice representing onsite and the submerged part representing offsite. This means that while they are complementary and of the same approach there is a lot more to offsite optimization. While completing the tasks below keep in mind that you want to be building your presence online so that search engine crawlers can recommend your website in confidence. If these spiders find that your website has a lot of credible mentions they will in turn refer your website by ranking your site higher in SERPs.
1. Article Marketing – Choose keywords, create a catchy title, and use proper structure
Try: Ezine and Goarticles
2. Setup a Blog – Create an internal blog for your website and don’t over promote yourself, offer your visitors content they will find helpful or applicable
3. Go Social – Setup Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Google+, Youtube, and many more, be consistent when you post relevant and engaging content
4. Try publishing short educational Ebooks/PDF reports – Create useful resources and brand the pages with your log
5. Web directories – There are a lot of free online directories and it helps to get some publicity
Try Viesearch, DMOZ, and Jayde
6. Discover forums – Become a member of some relevant forums and offer insight and share your industry tips
7. Comment in Blogs – This is a great way to build some relationships with fellow bloggers and it could eventually lead to some good links
8. Try a PPC Campaign – Explore Google Adwords and take advantage of their simulator feature for practice
9. Submit to Social bookmarking websites – Try and refer people to your blog posts as they should include the most unique and engaging content
Try: Digg, Reddit, StumbleUpon, The Web Blend
10. Explore Multimedia (Slideshare, YouTube, Pinterest, Prezi, Flickr, Instagram) – Develop presentations/video on product use or frequently asked questions, post pictures and relevant content on photo sharing sites
11. Discover online communities Google+, Facebook – Become a member or communities and setup your own to share interesting articles and to ask/answer industry questions
12. Guest Blog – Try guest blogging on websites, you could even offer guest blogging in your company blog
13. Localize your content, Google maps, local directories – Get your website on Google maps and make sure you check out local directories
14. Post answers in Yahoo Answers – It’s beneficial to occasionally check out Yahoo Answers and try to offer some answers relevant to you competitive advantage
15. Develop a Wiki Sandbox—and publish it – This is a longer process but definitely worth it and it has the potential to lead to some good links
16. Press releases – Write some press releases on company news and get the word out there
Together mentioned tactics will help you become more visible in SERPs. Remember to keep diversification in mind while developing your links and strategies. Keep your eyes open and if you see your competitors somewhere you aren’t make sure to register and set up camp. It’s highly recommended that you try to be everywhere that your competitors are to ensure further reach.
While some of these tactics are basic approaches to SEO it’s essential that you try and explore as many options as possible in creating awareness. Try and build healthy and lasting relationships in the blogging community and remember which hat you’re wearing when writing. Have fun with it and be natural when personalizing content it will show in your writing style and approach.